Janna ~Cheyenne~ I'm a book whore's Reviews > The Tycoon's Secret Daughter

The Tycoon's Secret Daughter by Susan Meier

Jun 18, 12

Read from June 12 to 14, 2012

This book was reviewed for Net Galley and will also be posted at www.mysecretromancebookreviews.com

4 Stars

Max Montgomery is a recovering alcoholic who lost his wife 8 years ago because his drinking drove her to leave. He scared her so bad when he was in a drunken rage that she knew she needed to leave. Max doesn't know the real reason why she left. Kate is back in town because her father has had some health issues. While at the hospital she run into Max, she really just wants to avoid him because she doesn't think that he could ever stay sober or change who he was, but when their daughter Trisha comes looking for her mom she has no choice but to tell Max that he has a daughter. Kate is bitter and definitely doesn't trust Max at all, Max is upset that he was kept in the dark about his daughter at first but then realizes that his drinking is what drove Kate away and its his goal to make amends with her and be in his daughter's life.

This book is a good example of how people's previous opinions of who a person is can truely change when you open your eyes and your heart and take a good look at the present and not always dwell on the past. People can change for the good or people can change for the bad, but if you stay close minded that a person will never change then you can lose on on knowing or loving a great person. It is also a good example that an addict, whether it be alcohol, drugs, cigarettes or gambling, has to want to get clean for himself, no one else. Max may have gotten sober originally for Kate, thinking that she would come back, but it was him wanting to be a better person that kept him sober. Max earned my respect by not giving up in proving himself and having a real relationship with Trisha. Kate's bitterness, while understandable, did start to wear on me and at times made me almost want to say, open your eyes and give Max a real chance to not only show you that he is sober and will try everything in his power to stay sober, but he will be a great dad to his daughter if just given the chance. It's all about giving second chances, and having faith in the other person.

Two of my favorite quotes from this books are: "I still can't promise you forever. At least not in the conventional sense. But as Annette pointed out, some people will be hit by a bus or in a traffic accident this year. Some of them might have promised forever and they'll be reneging on the deal through no fault of their own." "I might have quit for you, but I stayed sober for myself"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tycoon's Secret Daughter.