Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > The Mermaid's Madness

The Mermaid's Madness by Jim C. Hines

Swimming through the ocean was like flying through another world.

Long story short
On her latest sea expedition, Queen Beatrice is accidentally stabbed by Lirea, a mermaid that can shift into human form. The dagger Lirea was wielding is an enchanted one, and it absorbs Beatrice’s spirit. Danielle, Talia and Snow have to catch the culprit and save the queen’s life.

My thoughts
I absolutely love pirate tales. And mermaids. And underwater adventures (thank you SpongeBob). And the three princesses. And kelpies.

I do not like spawning though. It’s too fishy for my taste.

Fishy. Get it?

The Mermaid's Madness was an incredibly fun read. Hines’ retelling of The Little Mermaid is extremely interesting and, as usual, way better than the original. The characters were very detailed and varied. I really liked Lirea, her madness was extremely well portrayed. I more than once felt bad for the poor thing. Another character that I liked was Hephyra. She made one hell of a captain. I hope we’ll meet her again soon. I kind of doubt it, but here’s hoping. /end of positive things

And now the negative ones. I was expecting to give The Mermaid's Madness five stars. That’s how much faith I have in Jim C. Hines. I am very sad to say that this is a mere 3.5 star book. Why? Because it went terribly slow at times. Some events were unnecessary, some decisions stupid, some characters a pain in the ass (yes, I’m talking about Snow). All of this made me want to put the book aside for a while and start something else. Something better. This is never a good sign. The good news is that after 50 to 60 percent I didn’t feel like this anymore.

So there you have it folks. Book two of the Princess series, The Mermaid's Madness makes up for its slow parts with a fun adventure, great characters and unique realms. I really enjoyed reading it and I can’t wait to get my claws on the next installment, Red Hood's Revenge. Lady of the Red Hood assassin? Count me in!

Favorite quote
“The first time somebody strikes you, you’re shocked. You lack the reflexes to block or dodge the blows or to roll with the ones you can’t. The earlier you can learn those skills, the easier it is to deal with the next fight.”

Review also posted on

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mermaid's Madness.

09/10/2012
13.0% "Come on Hines, you can do better than that!" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by archdandy (last edited Sep 28, 2012 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

archdandy Snow wasn't nearly as badass in this one :(

Anzu The Great Destroyer She pissed me off :/ Her attitude was very strange.