Sarah's Reviews > The Secrets of the Vanmars

The Secrets of the Vanmars by Elisabeth Wheatley

Jul 26, 2012

bookshelves: r2r-complete, read-2012
Read from July 16 to 17, 2012

(I was given a digital copy of this book for free, by the author, on a read-to-review basis.)
This is the second book in the Argetallam Saga.
Three weeks have passed since the end of the events in ‘The Key of Amatahns’, and Janir is now on her way to Saaradan, to meet with her foster father – Armandius. Unfortunately her half-brother has also survived his wounds, and has made it back to ……

Janir makes it to Saaradan, and is reunited with Armandius, the man who she wishes was her real father. She explains to him what has happened since she left him, and he tells her that she must see the high lords for them to determine her fate after she killed a visiting Duke in ‘The Key of Amatahns’. (She did this because the duke tried to kill Armandius.)

Karile, the wizard who she travelled with, comes to her to tell her that he fears that there will be a war soon. The Stlavish armies are on the move, and Karile is concerned that it may have been a Stlavish Sultan who tried to purchase the key from the Argetallams.

Fortunately Janir survives her meeting with the high lords, but only through the kind words of Lady Gwenna. It seems that her maternal grandfather Meliard, would like nothing more than to behead her – immediately.

Once home, Janir and Karile start searching for a legensary road known as the ‘Kryden road’, and discovers dwarves, who appear to have teamed up with the Stlavish. What is going on? Why are the dwarves helping the Stlavish? And what does Janir’s real father have in store for her if he finds out that she is n fact alive?

I enjoyed this book, I actually think it was better than the first!
Once again there was a lot going on, and Janir finds herself in evens stickier situations. We once again have the characters of Karile, and Saoven the elf, and Janir is reunited with her foster father. There’s even a hint of romance between Janir and Saoven which I loved!

This book was once again very well written, and had excellent flow. I liked the storyline, but unfortunately it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger and we have to wait ‘til 2013 to find out what happens to Janir next!
7 out of 10.
(Book Length:3583 kindle locations.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets of the Vanmars.