Steve's Reviews > The Moviegoer

The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

Jun 12, 12

Read in June, 2012, read count: 2

I loved this book - when I was in my 20's. I had a hard time getting in to it, and it took me forever to finish, even though it is relatively short. Yeah, as other Goodread commentatoes point out, I may be a bit too old to give a shit about 1960 existential angst.

I was surprised how many story lines were going on at one time, not connecting very well, and many of them just left dangling or poorly completed. I mean there is him, his two families, Kate, his secretaries, his car, and the movies. I'm not sure why, but ending the novel with the death of his young half-brother seemed almost odd, and I never kind of knew what it "meant".

Oh, and instead of "cowbell", "More movies!", for a novel called "The Moviegoer".

I'll read one or two more Percy novels, but suprisingly this just kind of bored me most of the time. I remember from my youth the beauty of his writing and his thought is what grabbed me, but maybe I am just too old and jaded for that to count for much now. The best part is when his aunt gives him a tongue-lashing when they returns from Chicago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moviegoer.