Vicki's Reviews > Catherine of Aragon

Catherine of Aragon by Garrett Mattingly

F_50x66
Jun 12, 12

Read in June, 2012

I found this beat-up treasure at a yard sale for 25 cents. When I got it home I found it was missing the first 47 pages but I figured I knew enough about Catherine that I could forego them if the rest of the book was a good read. Not only was it a good read but a GREAT read! Everyone knows the story of Henry VIII and his many wives; this text really brings to life the transition from late medieval to early Renaissance periods. The intricacies of Church and Monarchy and Reformation; the trials suffered by those who backed one or another of the factions. Catherine's staunch beliefs in her positions, both political and religious, are not only admirable but understandable when considering the times she lived in. Few people of our generations today are confronted with the options and decisions she had to make and live with.

The text itself is not easy reading as the grammatical style is antique and it is rife with run-on sentences, but its a GREAT read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catherine of Aragon.