Carol's Reviews > Gone Missing

Gone Missing by Linda Castillo

Jun 13, 12

Read from June 12 to 13, 2012

I tremendously enjoyed the first three books in Castillo's Kate Burkholder series, and this fourth one lived up to the expectations created by those that came before it, although I have to say the ending of Gone Missing left me wanting more--in a couple different ways.
Living in a central Pennsylvania area populated with numerous Amish families and farms heightens my interest in this Amish mystery series, and, as Castillo continues with the personal and professional doings of two law enforcement personnel, she maintains my interest by intertwining crime scene details with elements central to daily Amish life [slaughtering their own livestock for food, preserving tomatoes by placing jars in a boiling water bath, avoidance of "worldly" bright colors, etc.]. She again plants enough details about multiple suspects to keep readers constantly changing guesses all the way to the end as to the true identity of the guilty party.
In Gone Missing, Castillo has Kate Burkholder facing some serious questions about her very personal relationship with a professional colleague, but the need to make a decision about if/how she wants to proceed with the relationship is complicated by the duo's latest case, which deals with the disappearance of Amish teenagers. The fact that Kate sees much of her own past in the teen girls she meets, learns about, and becomes desperate to save compromises her ability to look clearly at any possibilities for her future.
At a point at the end of the book--when the case is solved--Kate seems to have made a decision about the future of her personal relationship...but Castillo does such a wonderful job of weaving a mystery that a reader always has to wonder if anythings is REALLY solved or ABSOLUTELY decided...!?!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Missing.