Anagha's Reviews > Spartacus: The Gladiator

Spartacus by Ben Kane

Jun 12, 12

Read from June 02 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have to say that although I like historical fiction, I've read very few novels like Spartacus: The Gladiator. Ben Kane combines extensive knowledge about the period with a fast-paced, daring writing style, a strong, fierce hero and a powerful plot. You can tell he's an experienced writer with his confident writing - the action scenes could be easily understood, the romance was short and sweet and the characterization remained constant.

I loved how Ben Kane took the widely known facts about Spartacus a step further by adding all these details that truly make the story believable and worthwhile. Spartacus' arrogant attitude but caring personality shines through in every word Kane writes - from the first killing of the thieves to saving the priestess Ariadne from the kings' guards even though he could have been kiled in the process. I didn't always like Spartacus because of his brashness and unemotional nature but nevertheless, he was a very well-rounded and well-developed character.

All in all, this novel was a very entertaining read and I can't wait to see more of Spartacus. Although I may not have read much in this genre, I can say with confidence that Ben Kane can be counted among the famous authors in literary merit. When it comes to historical fiction, Kane is a master!

This novel is for people interested in historical fiction, especially about Spartacus. At 480 pages, it is definitely not an easy, fast read. There are violent scenes (though not at all unnecessary or gross) and rape scenes and profanity is prevalent throughout, so you should know what you're getting into if you read this book.
P.S. I also recommend watching the TV show Spartacus along with this book and its sequel (not out yet).
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spartacus.

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen sounds good. I usually do not like historical either, but this one sounds interesting.

Anagha Karen wrote: "sounds good. I usually do not like historical either, but this one sounds interesting."

It's totally wonderful! Highly recommend if you like a bit of gore in your book!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Steven James The Knight  A Patrick Bowers Thriller, 12 C Ds  Complete & Unabridged Audio Work  by Steven JamesI also read A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) by Francine Rivers An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) by Francine Rivers As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3) by Francine RiversI have had friends that could no endure these at all. I could probably do it, bit not a as steady diet. Thanks for answering.