Kathryn's Reviews > The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 1-3: Volumes 1, 2, 3

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 1-3 by Edward Gibbon

Dec 09, 13

bookshelves: paused
Read from May 28, 2012 to December 09, 2013

Thus far, I'm really enjoying this. Gibbon's writing has such a far-sighted and sonorous tone. There's little I can say that I'm sure others haven't already said over the years, but still I can say that I am delighted to finally get round to this classic and to find it more enjoyable than I expected. The subject matter sounds dry, but Gibbon's observations about matters of privilege, power and the inexorable ravages of time on civilizations are all so pithy. Time upon time he makes a sweeping generalization which he then pins to a very nice detail. It is this ability to illustrate grand themes with very specific evidence which makes Gibbon's work so excellent. Plus his pacing is marvelous. He never seems to rush, but rather seems to demonstrate that he has all the world and time in his grasp and he will take as long as he needs to unwind his tales.

I should add that this is also a marvelous bedtime or middle of the night, trying to get back to sleep book. You can so easily drift on when reading the names of murdered aspirants to the purple. It works wonders on the insomnia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, vol. 1-3.

12/09/2013 marked as: read