Shanna's Reviews > The Girl in the Steel Corset

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: best-covers, favorites, first-in-a-series, gothic, ya, steampunk, must-read
Recommended for: YA fans, steampunk fans
Read from June 12 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I get what everybody is saying about the plot being meh at times, but overall, the feel of it is really good. It was probably one of the quickest reads for me in awhile, which I love because it means I could not put the book down.

First, the cover is amazing...just beautiful. And then the title and the blurb will draw you in like no other. I do wish there had been more of a back story to all of the secondary characters. I mean, we get a little with Griffin, but other than that, we just pick up at a point in their lives with no real reason for being there, other than they are ready to help Finley with all her issues.

I enjoyed the play on Jekyll and Hyde as well as Frankenstein. I guess I'm a sucker for incorporating old stories in new ways. It was just facinating the way Kady Cross did this. I do agree with other reviews though when they say that Jack's character wasn't really present for much of the story, but I felt like he was in it just enough to add some spice when things got too calm.

Overall, the steampunk aspect wasn't really necessary in this book. I liked the interesting way it added a twist to everything, but I felt it could have been more romance based and been just fine. Also, the romance was sweet, and for the most part proper enough. We can't really judge Finley for her actions when it wasn't always just her making decisions (sometimes it was that dark part helping).

I did find the mystery aspect of it a little underwhelming. It wasn't that it hurt the story, just it felt a little thrown in there. Still, I think that the second book will be worth the read, and I'm excited to read more of Kady Cross' work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Steel Corset.

06/12/2012 page 1