Danielle Larca's Reviews > One for the Murphys

F 50x66
Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: juvenile
Read in June, 2012

"It's like when Mrs. Murphy kept trying to get me to try Hawaiian pizza. I thought it sounded gross. but I finally tried it, and I love it. I guess sometimes you don't know what you want because you don't know it exists." (p. 154)

After a violent encounter with her stepfather, Carley Connor's mother lands in the hospital and Carley winds up in foster care. Life at the Murphys is strikingly different than what Carley is used to with her mother's partying ways. This family is whole. They stick up for each other. They love each other. Carley sticks out like a sore thumb.

Over time, Carley begins to let her guard down and embrace this new lifestyle. She is tough and has experienced more than any 12-year-old should have to, but Mrs. Murphy's gently and loving ways break through the walls Carley has carefully constructed to protect herself. The place she once viewed as captivity has become the first true home she's ever known. But will it last?

One for the Murphys is a heart-rending story about love and family that will make you laugh and cry. The characters are well-developed and believable, the story is engrossing, the pace is perfect, and the conclusion is realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One for the Murphys.

Jillian Agreed.