Anna's Reviews > Getting the Girl

Getting the Girl by Markus Zusak

Feb 26, 09

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, did-not-finish
Read in October, 2008

I know this author is award-winning and supposedly talented but I didn't see too much of that in this book. I chose to read it over The Book Thief simply because I have a complex when it comes to reading WWII-related literature. I thought this book, which had an overwhelming number of positive reviews, would be worthwhile.

But... I honestly could not get into it. I tried, on three separate occasions, to read this and each time I was disappointed. The writing style is not very engaging and I felt like the characters totally lacked charisma. I couldn't get myself to root for the narrator and had no vested interest in the story so I quit after 70 pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting the Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick ha ha, i respect your ability to know when to give up on a book. i used to trudge through stuff i hated, but within the past few years i realized life is just too short. pull the trigger!

message 2: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna Seriously! I used to be very patient but now that my time is way more limited I much pickier. I try to give everything an honest chance before I give up but I'm not about to torture myself during my free time. :)