Adam Parker's Reviews > Tortured for Christ

Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: favorites, in-pursuit-of-christ
Read from June 12 to 14, 2012

... This book, more than any other up to this point, has left me speechless and caused much contimplation. Richard, in his simple writing style unadorned with trimmings, revealed a love I've not observed since the story of Jesus. The degree of suffering these men and women, fellow followers of Christ, suffered for "crimes" such as spreading gospel tracts or telling their children about God, is nearly beyond understanding. What IS beyond understanding though (outside of Jesus) is the unquenching, unyielding, unrelenting genuine love these believers held for their captors. In spite of watching their children being literally whipped to death before their eyes, being fed endless amounts of salt without water until death, or being abducted and raped on their very wedding day, these lovers of Jesus remained lovers of those who hurt them, turning countless numbers of them to the love of Christ.

This story of Richard's 14 1/2 years in prison under the Communist party of the Soviet Union and the underground church reveals the horrible consequence of an "impartial" purely godless style of government, where in reality the ruling party becomes the god. The atrocities I read on these pages will be burned into my mind for eternity. At the same time, the story of true love will overshadow those atrocities. The story of Jesus. The story of our brothers and sisters abroad, who we must strive with and support in their suffering while we sit comfortably in our recliners stressing over what kind of television we should purchase next.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tortured for Christ.