Jesse's Reviews > My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist

My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist by Mark Leyner

Dec 03, 12

bookshelves: read-in-peace-corps
Read from November 14 to December 03, 2012

well this is an excellent execution of a pretty poor idea. We've all probably read chaotic "image fiction" lit like this by now spun off punk junk. The whole book is just channel surfing- no plot, no characters, no narrative longer than a couple pages... always feeling something's missing. If Leyner had just taken the time to frame the chaos somehow this could have been a really great read.
But his real point with this is to show off his knack for finding, building, and playing with phrases and buzzwords that stick in our head. He fucks with the basic building blocks of English so extensively and creatively that it gets impossible to say stuff like 'basic building blocks' without bringing up a whole subtext of etymology and irony and cliche and some really kickass humor. And so he also exposes how it's happening to us every day in postmod USA more clearly than probably anything I've read.
oh and it's pretty dated. Are you wondering what dated 90's lit that doesn't take itself seriously looks like?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist.