Joy's Reviews > Avengers: The Children's Crusade

161941
Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: 21c, comics, superhero
Read in June, 2012

It's hard to come up with a fair write-up for this book: I have such enormous affection for the Young Avengers characters that I find the setup here hard to resist. All our favorite Young Avenger characters return, complete with the creative team of Heinberg and Cheung and a sprawling plot that's both intensely personal for our lead (this time, Wiccan) and epic in terms of the overall Marvel universe. Heinberg is so good at writing the Young Avengers as teens, and at using their experiences as teen superheroes to echo the experiences of everyday teens. (The way that the older Avengers try and fail to manage the Young Avengers' lives? Right on the money.)

I'm still not sure what I think about the ending, which is why I found myself wavering between a 3- and 4-star rating. (view spoiler)

Anyway, well worth reading if you're already a fan of these characters.

Additional thoughts upon re-reading the trade HC: The ending is still terrible, and I don't feel the extra issues in the collection add much to the read. That said, the beginning still has so much spark! I hope we get to see more of the Young Avengers characters as a team in future books after Marvel's latest obligatory Big Event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avengers.