Adam Roan's Reviews > The Gay Science: with a Prelude in Rhymes and an Appendix of Songs

The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche

Jun 11, 2012

The Gay Science wasn't my first introduction to Nietzsche (it was my second selection of his.) Being a critic of subsequent after-thoughts for those who are seeking the grandest and most pervasive look into existentialism, "The Gay Science" opens and closes those abysses that exist in all of us. The text begins with rhymes that sing to you - as you would expect from the Germanic language. Most of the text is highly colorful, emotional and furthermore display a cruelty semi-incomprehensible to any fellow philosopher. The text rips apart the cosmos, calls for the ecstatic loss of the self, and manages to do it in such a violent (yet graceful) method that you might ask yourself: what is the purpose of our life? Certainly, the answers remain unknown. Instead they are layered in a (semi-)circular ambiguity (aphorisms, short prose, poems, et cetera.) Nietzsche was never interested in answering questions, providing fatalistic proof or engaging in polemic-infected arguments. He was deeply interested in how to sustain conversations rather than argue; discussion of One becoming Two; and ultimately exploring a queer expression that none of the rigid sciences currently provide to us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gay Science.