Laurie's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Mar 09, 09

Read in December, 2008

3/09
on reflection i think this book was more of a one-trick pony. But I will let the review i wrote in the post-coital warmth of the author's embrace remain..

-----

What a fun book to read! THere was so much wonderful action and exciting period details, life on a travelling circus show was nothing if not adventurous. This book also moves between time periods, and I think Gruen does a superb job of navigating those transitions from present to past and back again very seemlessly.
The narrator is pleasing, but I do think that Marlena (his love interest) and the others in the circus, are not fully realized characters, but rather they fit some easy stereotypes -- the beautiful perfomer saddled with a sadistic husband, the crazy circus guy who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, the grumpy dwarf, the brutal ringmaster, etc.
I realized about 2/3 in that the opening scene had something wrong in the way it was constructed -- and that turns out to be the 'nut' of the story, so to speak, which is a plot element I didn't care for. But the final chapter was so great, I won't even say whether or not it made me happy or sad, only that it gave me chills, and the book is worth reading to the end for that reason.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.