Romancing the Book's Reviews > Hunting the Shadows

Hunting the Shadows by Alexia Reed

Jun 11, 12

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, sci-fi, urban-fantasy, reading-challenge
Read in May, 2012

Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Ashleigh
Review Copy Provided by the Author

Warning… there are mild spoilers ahead.

While I wanted to like this story, not only because this a new genre for me but because the blurb made it sound so interesting. I found that the entire first 65 pages that I muddled my way through was so convoluted that I by then I couldn’t understand who was a good guy or bad guy. Time seemed to be irrelevant, and often things happened that just plain didn’t make sense to me. One minute J.C. is being charged with murder and treason, and the next he is a free man back in charge of his men looking for a killer. The addition of Amy, and her abilities, really made me want to read this if for nothing else to see how the author tied in the psychic angle, but again I was disappointed. It seemed that JC and Amy could communicate to each other, along with she could implant memories in his mind somehow rewriting what he remembers, but yet he has no idea who she is or why she is in his facility under his direction.

More than once I had to reread sections to see if I missed something and each reread just confused me even more. I hope that others can find enjoyment in her writing, because the writing itself was good – and a great job on editing the section I got through – but the irrelevant time and just general fluidity to the entire story line (not in a good way) made me give this book a seedling (1 star) rating. This won’t stop me from reading other works in the future from Alexia Reed, just this one was not at all like the blurb made it sound.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunting the Shadows.