Justin's Reviews > The Wild Queen: The Days and Nights of Mary Queen of Scots

The Wild Queen by Carolyn Meyer

Jun 13, 12

Read from June 11 to 13, 2012

The Wild Queen is the first book of Carolyn's that I have read. One of the things I like in Historical Fiction, is that they have at least some accuracy to the actual events that they portray. I honestly don't know a whole lot about Mary, Queen of Scots so when it came to knowing how accurate this book is, I had to piece together little bits of information that I did know. I do feel like Carolyn put a ton of research into this book, as a lot of the major events of Mary's life within the book felt really accurate to the true events.

I only really know about some of the major events that took part in Mary's life, as that is something most people will learn at some point throughout school. So reading this book was really a interesting experience. It was really quite impressive how detailed this book really is. I can't begin to imagine the amount of research went into this book to truly make it feel as if you were stepping into this time period, and in the middle of all the turmoil that took place.

It's really difficult for me to talk much about the characters in the book, simply because a lot of them are based on real people. I'm not positive how many of the characters were fictional, I am sure there were a few.. As I always like to say when dealing with Historical Fiction, I want the characters to feel real, I want everything about them to come as close as possible to matching that of the time period, and person they are suppose to portray.

Mary's story is really tragic, she has such a difficult life and goes through so much up until the very end. As mentioned in the epilogue, there is a lot that isn't known about Mary, especially regarding some of the more tragic events that take place in this book. But I really do feel like Carolyn did an amazing job, taking Mary's story and making it work in a YA Historical Fiction format.

Having said that, I am going to have to check out the rest of Carolyn's Young Royals series, if The Wild Queen is any indication of the attention to detail that Carolyn puts into her book, I can only imagine how good the rest of them will be. If you're a fan of Historical Fiction, I highly recommend that you read this book. It's one of the richer Historical Fiction books out there, as I imagine the rest of her series is also.

This review isn't nearly as in-depth as I'd like it to be, it's just so difficult to balance fact and fiction in a book like this especially when you don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the true events. I just wanted to speak about the book as a whole, and just try to focus more on broad points and not a lot of the finer details. I do feel like this is an amazing book though, I have always been a history buff, so the fact that I was actually able to learn some things while reading this book really interested me. It's great when authors take such great interest in what they are writing when it comes to this genre, and that directly benefits the readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wild Queen.