Heather's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Jun 16, 12

Read from June 11 to 16, 2012

It's not fair, but it's unavoidable that most people will compare this book to Tina Fey's Bossypants. I'm going to do the same thing.

I think, if you're to take the versions of Fey and Kaling represented in their respective memoirs as gospel, hands down I would prefer spending time with Kaling. Where Fey comes off as a bit bitter and like she's always doing a bit, Kaling comes off as genuine and hopeful and smug but aware of it, rather than aloof. The humor in Kaling's essays came off more effortless, like a person telling an amusing story, rather than a person trying to tell jokes.

There is, of course, no overarching narrative structure and the end of the book sort of peters out a bit, giving way to extremely short essays that are sort of generalized collections of thoughts on a topic, but I found it completely delightful. Really. Who do I have to talk to so that I can hang out with Mindy Kaling? She is clearly best friend material (not for just me -- I mean she sounds like she's got being a best friend pretty well figured out).

I was particularly delighted about her section about how Married People Need to Step It Up. As a married person who is wedded to my pal, I salute her mandate!

This book is not going to change your life. It is a lark, and I'd probably read it again if I were home sick in bed. It made me feel good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.