Lynn's Reviews > Wife 22

Wife 22 by Melanie Gideon

203227
Jun 11, 12

Read in June, 2012

I wasn't sure at all if I could get into this book because of all the various back-and-forths with Facebook and Twitter postings, emails, questionnaire answers to unseen questions, dialogues, and regular chapters but once I got into the rhythm of it, it turned out to be quite entertaining. Alice is foundering in the doldrums of a long marriage with children and a husband who all seem to be growing away from her. She is entering the "tipping point year" - the age at which her own mother died (far too young)- which adds an extra twist to her view of life. She comes across an ad looking for subjects in a marriage survey in her Spam folder. She fishes it out and agrees to participate. She is assigned the designation of Wife 22 and begins daily postings with Researcher 101. Before long, a relationship begins to grow between them. Is it the anonymity factor? Is it having a person assigned to listen (read) very carefully to her thoughts on the questions being asked? Is it loneliness, boredom, the act of keeping a secret? Where will it lead? To a surprising - and amusing conclusion. A realistic look, in many ways, of our plugged in, instant gratification seeking lives and, perhaps, a cautionary tale of where a virtual life can lead a real one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wife 22.