Crystal's Reviews > Phantom

Phantom by Laura DeLuca

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: ebook-kindle, for-review, 2012, read-june-2012
Read from June 11 to 12, 2012

I will be quick to admit I am only familiar with Phantom of the Opera through the musical and the movies not through the book so I can't attest to this book according to the actual book. But I must say I am impressed. Ms. DeLuca has managed to weave a story that parallels a story without becoming too something that would make the story over-the-top or just too much like the original. Ms. DeLuca makes the story work with the current day and time and fit in the young adult genre quite well.

I loved the characters, especially Justyn and how he played the Phantom role and how he was the goth boy/outsider as well in the book. I like Rebecca as the surprise voice that had never stood out before, the girl who had never been noticed as a perfect Christine. And Tom as the perfect boy-next-door popular guy as Raoul. Each played their part in the book which parallels their part in the play. I have to admit Justyn was my favorite, there was just something about his character that called to me. But I liked Rebecca and could relate to her. She was torn, some might see her as indecisive, but who hasn't been there as a teenager. I just saw her as a caring girl who wanted to follow her heart but cared about others as well.

The plot was fascinating. It could have been the typical teenage adaptation, but the twists and turns were amazing. I started this and was halfway done in a matter of hours. I could not put it down. I found the novel and story line well written. Great suspense and interesting character development move this book along very well. It's fresh and exciting and hard to put down.

When I accepted this book for review I was expecting a story I would enjoy, I ended up with so much more with this book. It was deeper and so much more enjoyable than I ever thought. I think it will be one of my most recommended books of the year, at least so far. It was fast-paced, refreshing and very interesting with wonderful characters that I think will appeal to all ages whether you have read, listened to or watch Phantom before or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom.

06/12/2012 page 165