Little Paper Rose Reviews's Reviews > The Vincent Brothers

The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines

Jun 11, 12

Read in June, 2012

- Review taken from my YA book blog Little Paper Rose

I was pretty thrilled coming across the second book in the 'Vincent' series since I'd forgotten to follow up on it. I think I purchased it within half a second. I wasn't the hugest fan of the first book, 'The Vincent Boys', due to the overwhelming part of infidelity (unfortunately that hit a sensitive nerve of mine) but had been excited to read the follow-up about Sawyer trying to win Ashton back, which I thought would make an intriguing storyline.

Well, I should've paid more attention to the fact that 'The Vincent Brothers' was to center around Sawyer and Lana so even though I hadn't particularly liked Ashton or Beau when they last left off, I had wished to read more about them.
This also brings me to pointing out how strangely hilarious I found them in 'The Vincent Brothers' - I mean, Ashton was portrayed like a fragile trophy (if you dare look at her "the wrong way" or raise your voice at her, you'll be beat up, capisce?) and Beau her rigid, oversensitive bodyguard.

I had a hard time getting attached to the new set of main characters despite the alternating point-of-views. I just couldn't find Sawyer's character - "nice guy" turned miserable, hot-tempered, jealous figure - to be anything but a hot mess. He was like a second version of Beau, but less charming.

I always have a bit of an issue connecting with a relationship that's started from a solely shallow point of physical attraction and/or lust, so lacking an emotional foundation I was reluctant to the whole idea of Sawyer and Lana and it didn't help that whatever they had going on was pretty hazy as to how it would be defined or if there even was anything to define.

The conflicts in the book was too scattered for my taste, a problem would be so amplified in the moment but then either quickly go away or a new problem would be presented, I just didn't get enough time to get emotionally invested in what was currently occurring.

Such as.. (view spoiler)

It was just unfortunate I happened to find everyone to be melodramatic rather than feeling for them. There was so much back and forth I barely had the time to react. And oh, I guess I was in the minority to have rooted for Ashton and Sawyer potentially get back together (mostly because I was excited to see how the storyline would play itself out with the chance of that). I'd at least expected more of a fight of the matter.

One thing's for sure, though, 'The Vincent Brothers' is an entertaining, packed read - fast-paced, sexy, and containing a bunch of drama. You won't be bored.

I didn't love this book but I would recommend it to others, this is my fourth Glines book after all!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vincent Brothers.