Albert's Reviews > Fate, Time, and Language: An Essay on Free Will

Fate, Time, and Language by David Foster Wallace

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: haz
Read from June 11 to August 24, 2012

My logic admittedly has a charming patina (though I practice a rudimentary form of it daily as a database manager), and I had just enough of the modal variety as a philosophy undergrad to whet my stone and appetite but not enough to carve a meal, which is all to say, if you've enjoyed DFW's writing and have strayed some from your philosophy undergrad years, this is a good way to get a little closer to the writer while simultaneously brushing away some of that charm, er, patina. I had a little thrill* hearing that characteristic voice muffled throughout the paper and then unmistakably blaring out at moments, as if irrepressible.

Now that the voice is gone, I feel like I lost an older brother I only came to know after it was too late so I've been straining to hear every bit that helps me recognize that person whose existence, though only vaguely known to me, I surely felt with kinship from beyond my ken.

*Incidentally, when drawing portraits, there's a similar sudden thrill of recognition as just the right proportion and combination of gestured marks gives a little click in the brain that says excitedly, "Yes, that's the person!"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate, Time, and Language.