Matthew's Reviews > Jaran

Jaran by Kate Elliott

M 50x66
Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy

The point of this book was to display a society where the male and female roles were reversed, to see how people reacted to this reversal. The reversal was not horribly done, but I felt that the plot, story, and characters were neglected to push this message.

I actually read this book long ago and do not remember much. I did not enjoy it, I found it very long-winded, and very preachy, but I could not tell you much of the specifics.

It is a proper extension of speculative fiction to do this sort of thought experiment and it was somewhat interesting how she placed an outsider in this society to learn it as the reader learns it. But the author need to put more attention and care in making a good book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaran.

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg What is the author's message?

Matthew Greg wrote: "What is the author's message?"

There, I edited it to make it more complete. I think I wrote that review on my phone, when first experimenting with the features of the app. I didn't find the app very useful - a lot of books have UPCs that the app can't recognize and the navigation seems clumsy.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg The review makes sense now! :) And I've never tried to add books/reviews via my phone - that would be more tiring to do I think.