stephanie's Reviews > I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone

Nov 23, 08

bookshelves: 2008, young-adult, contemporaryfiction
Recommended to stephanie by: Melissa Walker
Read in November, 2008

i had a bit of hard time getting into the story. but then it picked up - emily black is an awesome female character. she has all the flaws and dreams and baggage of a teenager you can relate to.

i agree that i could have done without a lot of the louisa sections, which seemed melodramatic and over the top. however, they did provide good background and contrast to emily, and what her decisions. reagan was awesome, and i love her and tom. i also love molly. and michael.

i have a soft spot for stories with strong father-daughter connections, though i also love the strong mother-daughter stuff.

the main thing that disappointed me was the lack of looking into what seems like obvious post-partum depression on the part of louisa. i understand that this was emily's story, but the one scene of louisa's recurring dream where she nurses emily only to end up having her breasts leak blood - that's a pretty strong image that stuck with me throughout the book, and i wanted it to be brought up somewhere. that it wasn't entirely louisa's fault - not just the stuff that happened at the old house in carlise. but that's the psychological part of my brain being nit-picky.

it's fast, once it gets going. i love emily. i think the ending was brilliant. as someone else said, this was a great feminist ending, and i love the evidence of strength and learning from faults and growing out of our mistakes. i do admit i don't get a lot of the music references, but i would have expected more of what i thought was true punk - not nirvana, etc.

still. the book beats with the pulse of the music, and i love that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone.