Anne Osterlund's Reviews > Lily of the Nile

Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray

Jun 14, 12

Selene carried the fig basket with the asp that killed her mother, sending Queen Cleopatra into the afterlife. And leaving Selene and her brothers alone.
To face the burdens of a lost Egypt.
The hopes of the Isiac religion.
And the ultimate enemy.
Octavian. Leader of Rome. Conqueror of Selene’s homeland. Architect of her parents’ fall.
And the man who expects Antony and Cleopatra’s children to call him . . .
Father.

A fascinating look into the life of an Egyptian princess raised by the family of the man who conquered both her country and her parents.

But failed to conquer her.

I enjoyed the historical setting and events, especially the innate paradox of Selene’s situation, her ability to see life from more than one angle, and her twin brother’s inclination toward rebellion. Looking forward to book two!
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily of the Nile.

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth would you recommend?

Anne Osterlund Hi Elizabeth,

Yes, I'll be recommending it. I think the history added an extra element that made it well worth reading. Though I ALWAYS recommend Mara, Daughter of the Nile first if you are looking for a GREAT historical fiction novel set in Ancient Egypt. Unbelievably awesome. I read Mara in one night--Christmas night actually, by flashlight, while my little cousin was sleeping on the floor of my room:)

Anne
(who is off to find some chocolate)

message 3: by Blaga (new)

Blaga Hi, Anne, have you read "Clopatra's Daughter" by Michelle Moran? It is on the same subject, and if you liked this, maybe you will like that one too? I personally love it and recommend!

Anne Osterlund Hi Blaga,

No, I haven't read that one yet. Though it is on to-read list (which is actually on a blue notebook at my house instead of on Goodreads), along with a couple other books by Michelle. Thank you for the recommendation!

Anne
(who is off to watch Scarlett O'Hara snag Rhett Butler)