~Tina~'s Reviews > The "What If" Guy

The "What If" Guy by Brooke Moss

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: kobo-own, read-2012, adults, contemporary
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012

This is exactly what I needed!

The "What If" Guy was such a warm and sweet story about family roots, finding your way through life and second chances. It's a story about Autumn Cole who was in love with a guy named Henry Tobler but broke his heart and hers in the process when she found out she was pregnant with another mans child.
Years later, Autumn and her son go back to her small town of Fairfield to take care of Autumn's alcoholic father when sure and behold who happens to be the new teacher in Elliott school? Why, Henry of course;)
Old flames and a love that never died, these two souls were fated for happily ever after.

There was so many moments that made me smile. I loved every single one of these characters. I loved that Autumn dad got the chance to set things right and even though he seems like a mean cuss he's actually very sweet. I loved that Henry was charming and kind and understood and accepted Autumn for all her flaws. I loved that Autumn was such a nervous little klutz around Henry and he has the war wounds to prove it. I really loved Elliott, and thought his voice for a twelve year old was spot on. But what I loved most about this book was the togetherness of a small town. The over crowded festival, nosy neighbors and enjoying something as simple as sledding and drinking hot coco. The friendship and the endless family support as a community. My favorite moment was when Henry asked Elliott permission in the very end of the story. That has to be the most precious move I've ever seen a character make. I also really appreciated the epilogue. It was the perfect touch and made me sigh in contentment.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed myself with this book. Autumn and Henry have one of those fairy tale stories where you think to yourself what would happen if you ever meet your "what if guy" again. It makes you believe in love and fate and captures real moments where you want to hold on for just a little bit longer. Second chance stories have always warmed my heart and made me smile and I'm pleased to say that this book did exactly that.

Well done!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The "What If" Guy.

Jenn I would have marked this higher but at times it was sluggish for me. If it was more attention grabbing for me..then I would have gone to a 4 for sure. i did love the story line a lot though. :)

~Tina~ Yeah, I see what you mean. I think I was just really in the mood for this book so I had a different experience.
I'm a sucker for sweet reads;)

Jenn I love sweet reads too. I don't know what the heck my deal was at the time. I felt like it read slow for me. I was buddy reading it with two others and they stopped reading it because they felt it was too slow. Maybe I let the influence me a little. Sometimes that happens and if I see a bad review before hand it can help ruin my reading experience. I don't..maybe I just wanted the characters to hurry up and quit playing the mouse and cat game too? lol It was just a tad slow. I think I must have been in the mood for a faster pace at the time. It definitely wasn't the story or anything..just more of the pacing.

message 4: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jun 25, 2012 04:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Jenn wrote: "I love sweet reads too. I don't know what the heck my deal was at the time. I felt like it read slow for me. I was buddy reading it with two others and they stopped reading it because they felt it ..."

It happens sometimes, it was probably just your mood. I've read tons of books that does the exact same to me. I also read books where I didn't like it at all and yet all my friends 5 stared it. It happens;)

Thanks Sam!! It really did put a smile on my face:)