Rion's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Recommended for: Big nerds
Read in September, 2007

***SPOILERS:

From an interview with Rowling on the Today show:

Rowling said her original epilogue was “a lot more detailed,” including the name of every child born to the Weasley clan in the past 19 years. (Victoire, who was snogging Teddy — Lupin and Tonks’ son — is Bill and Fleur’s eldest.)

Harry, Ron and Hermione
We know that Harry marries Ginny and has three kids, essentially, as Rowling explains, creating the family and the peace and calm he never had as a child.

As for his occupation, Harry, along with Ron, is working at the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. After all these years, Harry is now the department head.

“Harry and Ron utterly revolutionized the Auror Department,” Rowling said. “They are now the experts. It doesn’t matter how old they are or what else they’ve done.”

Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron’s wife, is “pretty high up” in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite laughing at the idea of becoming a lawyer in “Deathly Hallows.”

“I would imagine that her brainpower and her knowledge of how the Dark Arts operate would really give her a sound grounding,” Rowling said.

Harry, Ron and Hermione don’t join the same Ministry of Magic they had been at odds with for years; they revolutionize it and the ministry evolves into a “really good place to be.”

“They made a new world,” Rowling said.

The wizarding naturalist
Luna Lovegood, the eccentric Ravenclaw who was fascinated with Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and Umgubular Slashkilters, continues to march to the beat of her own drum.

“I think that Luna is now traveling the world looking for various mad creatures,” Rowling said. “She’s a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is.”

Luna comes to see the truth about her father, eventually acknowledging there are some creatures that don’t exist.

“But I do think that she’s so open-minded and just an incredible person that she probably would be uncovering things that no one’s ever seen before,” Rowling said.

Luna and Neville Longbottom?
It’s possible Luna has also found love with another member of the D.A.

When she was first asked about the possibility of Luna hooking up with Neville Longbottom several years ago, Rowling’s response was “Definitely not.” But as time passed and she watched her characters mature, Rowling started to “feel a bit of a pull” between the unlikely pair.

Ultimately, Rowling left the question of their relationship open at the end of the book because doing otherwise “felt too neat.”

Mr. and Mrs. Longbottom: “The damage is done.”

There is no chance, however, that Neville’s parents, who were tortured into madness by Bellatrix Lestrange, ever left St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies.

“I know people really wanted some hope for that, and I can quite see why because, in a way, what happens to Neville’s parents is even worse than what happened to Harry’s parents,” Rowling said. “The damage that is done, in some cases with very dark magic, is done permanently.”

Rowling said Neville finds happiness in his grandmother’s acceptance of him as a gifted wizard and as the new herbology professor at Hogwarts.

The fate of Hogwarts
Nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts, the school for witchcraft and wizardry is led by an entirely new headmaster (“McGonagall was really getting on a bit”) as well as a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. That position is now as safe as the other teaching posts at Hogwarts, since Voldemort’s death broke the jinx that kept a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor from remaining for more than a year.

While Rowling didn’t clarify whether Harry, Ron and Hermione ever return to school to finish their seventh year, she did say she could see Harry popping up every now and again to give the “odd talk” on Defense Against the D

dateDown_arrow    newest »

lianna Thanks for the information :)

aixin Thanks too. I was wondering who Victoire was and a little sad that J.K. Rowling didn't include a list of characters and explanation. Anyway, my hunch was confirmed that Harry was in the Auror department. Were their parents too in the Auror department?

Scribble Orca It turns out that HARRY IS REAL!

Issam Thanks for posting this!

Daan The MLE isn't all lawyers. The MLE has EVERYTHING to do with law. The Auror department is a part of the MLE, for example, the Hit Wizards, et cetera. So I definitely see Hermione work there, even with the statement in mind she didn't want to be a lawyer.

Brooke HA! Oh hahahaha! I KNEW Voldemort jinxed the DADA job! xD (Well, it WAS pretty obvious....)

Jessi I LOVE this book

Khandoba Salunkhe If Voldy really jinxed DADA prof position, how had Quirinus Quirrell stayed there for more than a year..?? 'Cause he wasn't new recruit that year or else Dumbledore would've declared that. Any sound explaination..??

Brooke Um, he was sharing a body with Voldemort?

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Hovey I'm kind of glad she didn't continue with her original epilogue. The one she published was short and sweet. It was a pleasant ending to a beautiful and heart-stopping series. I love reading this though because it really sounds like she truly felt the characters.

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Mouro Thanks so much! I thought Harry should be an auror… Neville and Luna are a cute couple!

Ninza This holds so much of useful information. Thank you, kind stranger. You have made the world a better place. :)