Susan Bailey's Reviews > My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Jun 11, 12

Read in June, 2012

I read this book in 6th grade and decided to read it again when I heard that Jean Craighead George had passed away. It's been 44 years since I've read this book and I loved it just as much this time as I did the last time. Sure, you have to suspend belief for this story to work (I mean really, a boy, Sam Gribley. just coming into his teens knows how to survive in the wild and can create interesting meals out of what he finds in the forest and can make his own clothes?) but it's such an engrossing story (and a tempting idea) that it's easy to just go with the flow.

Of course I thought of Henry David Thoreau as I read this book (Sam is even referred to as "Thoreau" by a friend). Unlike Thoreau though, Sam slowly comes to realize he needs human companionship and welcomes his family moving into his forest space (yes, this required suspending belief too, along with his parents never really looking for him except for his father showing up at one point).

My sister and her husband own 2 primitive cottages in the woods of Ashburnham, MA on Lake Winnekeag - I told her to make sure she reads My Side of the Mountain on the porch of her cottage. It's the perfect summer read for nature lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Side of the Mountain.