Jess's Reviews > About Last Night

About Last Night by Ruthie Knox

Jun 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012-new, 2012-all, own-ebook, romance-contemporary, romance, romance-category
Read from June 18 to 19, 2012

Straight contemporary, almost all internal conflict, set in London, hot sex scenes. Yes, I was a fan.

(Also, I can't remember who wanted books where people who are infertile stay that way and if they just wanted historicals like that, but that's very much the case here.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About Last Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie That was me and Steph! I'm not UNinterested in non-historicals about it, but I think the historicals add an extra layer since heirs are so important.

Jess Oh yeah, I agree.

steph Ohhh, yes. That was me and Katie (btw, STILL looking for my historical-I-can't-give-you-a-heir book. One day, I will find it)

Just requested this one off NetGalley! Fingers crossed I get it!

Jess It's 2.99 on amazon, so not too bad even if you don't. It did irk me how much of the file was previews for other books, but that's the curse of ebooks.

steph Yeah. I just finished one and was confused when everything started wrapping up because it was only 80% of the way done. And then I realized she put a chapter of another book in there. *sigh*

Jess I really wish they'd count them separately. There has to be a way to break down the files so that they don't count against the percentage.

Katie Steph, supposedly Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas has the infertility thing, but I haven't read it yet, so that's secondhand.

And ha! I kind of had the opposite problem when I was reading a short story on my Kindle because I was super on guard for that "extra" content and there wasn't much at all.

steph Ok Katie. I'll have to look into that book. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I swear to god, every storyline that involves infertility, barren-ness, not able to get pregnant, miscarriage etc has it ending with a baby (or two or three). And while I love happy endings, I do wish things could be realistic every now and then.

Katie I didn't finish it, but Lord and Lady Spy just had her ending pregnant after suffering miscarriages, right? That approach, I think, is a little better. Or just have it end with no pregnancy/baby at all and leave it up to the reader's imagination what happens next. I mean, you don't have to specifically tell us whether or not they ever have children.

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess I wish gratuitous epilogues would go away. I mean, sometimes it's nice to know what happens next, but it's not always NECESSARY. And there's a difference between the two.

I don't think Lord and Lady Spy even ended with that, did it?

Katie Oh, part of me really loves them. Though I think I've grown a little sour on them, the more I've read. And they probably ARE rarely necessary.

I thought so? But I only flipped through the last half or maybe even the last two-thirds.

steph I think Lord and Lady Spy ended with a toddler and another one on the way???? Of course, I could be getting them confused with another novel/same plot line style epilogue. I think that was 30 books ago....

message 13: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Was there an epilogue? Becasue I really have no recollection of that at all. But maybe I'd stopped paying attention at that point, idk.

Katie RESEARCHING NOW

Katie No epilogue. Just this:

“Hmm.” She watched the footman open the carriage door and lower the steps, and on impulse said, “Lisbon might be next. Or, we could always try parenthood.”

The look on his face was worth a hundred opportunities with Foncé. She had been debating whether or not to say anything. The familiar signs were present, but it was still too soon to be certain she was with child and far too soon to know if the pregnancy would be successful. But she felt different about this pregnancy.

Hopeful.

steph Oh see. That's nice. That is a perfect ending to the I-can't-get-pregnant/I-keep-miscarrying storyline. It can go any way the reader wants. I like that.

Katie Yeah! And, really, repeating previous discussions, my biggest problem is when they suddenly have ALL THE KIDS. I don't mind as much if they have ONE kid, after lots of trying.

steph Yes. If it's like 3 or 4 or 7 years later and suddenly, she has a baby and it's healthy and everyone is happy then that makes me happy. But most epilogue's go a year or two in the future and lo and behold! Guess who is pregnant with baby number 2 (or even 3)

steph PS Jess. I just got this off NetGalley. I'll try and start it this weekend.

message 20: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Yep, yep, yep. I agree with all of this.

And yay! I hope you like it, Steph.