Kelly Hager's Reviews > One Moment

One Moment by Kristina McBride

Jun 12, 12

Read from June 11 to 12, 2012

Maggie and Joey are the perfect couple. They've been together for about two years and she couldn't possibly love him anymore. She's even decided that they're going to have sex for the first time next week (when his parents are out of town). And then it all goes wrong.

They (and their best friends) decide to spend time at their favorite hangout spot and Maggie and Joey go to jump off the cliff. The next thing she knows, Joey is dead. And she doesn't remember anything about what happened.

I've heard about Kristina McBride since her first book (The Tension of Opposites) came out. I haven't read that book, but I've heard a lot of good things about the way she writes. I completely enjoyed this one and hope to read The Tension of Opposites sometime before the end of the year.

I called the twists in this book early, but it was still incredibly enjoyable. Even though I knew where the book was going, the journey was very fun.

What I enjoyed the most---although "enjoyed" is probably not the right word---was the exploration of how grief affects everyone differently. Maggie and Joey have been friends with Tanna, Shannon, Pete and Adam for, like, EVER, so after Joey dies, Adam essentially avoids the group and Maggie alternates between clinginess and spending a lot of time alone.

There's really no one way to grieve and everyone handles it differently, so it was good to see that reflected. Also, while everyone was understandably sad and devastated, they were also angry. I thought that was an incredibly realistic portrayal, too.

This was such a great read; I can't wait to read her first book and I know she's going to be one of those authors that becomes a must-buy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.