Julesmarie's Reviews > For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, young-adult, dystopia
Read in July, 2012

This was so very different from what I'd expected, which I loved, because lately I've had a difficult time being surprised or impressed by YA books.

I'd expected the futuristic, dystopian retelling of Persuasion, and was intrigued enough by that premise to give the book a try.

What I hadn't expected was the fascinating analysis of the ramifications of certain political ideologies. I hadn't expected Elliot to be one of the most amazing YA heroines I've yet encountered. And I hadn't expected to become so emotionally invested in so many of the characters.

(view spoiler)

This story was also beautifully crafted. Everything unfolds and is revealed to us at exactly the perfect time, and in such a beautiful way. I loved the use of the letters between Elliot and Kai to give us more information both about each of them and about their world.

The world was fascinating and believable, and because Elliot loved it so much, I found myself doing so also.

Overall, I loved the world, I adored the characters, I was fascinated by the history and thoroughly enthralled by the story. Definitely recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Darkness Shows the Stars.