Amy A's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

F 50x66
Jul 10, 2012

Read from July 08 to 09, 2012

I was very impressed with this book. I was hooked almost from the beginning. It's one of those books that does a great job of pulling in the reader and, for me, I didn't want it to end. I wanted to spend an infinite amount of time in this world created.

Alina is an orphan girl who is recruted into the first army as a cartographer for the nation of Ravka whose been at war for over 100 years with neighboring nations. The nation is divied in half by the "Unsea" and area of land completely in the dark that is filled with flesh-eating monsters. It's almost a death sentence to cross the Unsea, but it order to get provisions from the coast the journey is very much needed. It is on one such journey that Alina is discovered to have a talent that she never knew she possessed. She can call to the sunlight, which is very deadly to the monsters. She is immediately swept away by the Kings army, and the Darkling, in order to train her power to help save Ravka.

Alina, always an outcast, is suddenly thrust into this new and elegant world. She at first doesn't know what to make of it. Whereas before she would be greatful to get to eat everyday and had to sleep on the cold hard ground, now she has all she could possibly want and is waited on by palae servants. I like that even though she is given all this luxury, she still remains true to herself. She doesn't forget who she is and comepletely change her character. It happens a lot in books with this type of storyline, but I like that Leigh Bardugo decided to go a little bit of a different route.

The book is filled with the usual. Court intrigue, jealous / scamming peers, romance. I'll admit, I liked the book, but I figured I knew where it was going generally speaking. Bardugo created a very interesting world, but in the beginning it was nothing that was completely new. Then BAM! Leigh Bardugo completely changes where my mind is going with everything. I really have to give her credit I was unprepared for certain things to happen just because most writers have a set pace / course to go on and do not change direction. Bardugo is a great storyteller and I like that she's set her work apart from the rest.

I can't wait to read the next book Siege and Storm which, sadly, comes out next year. I can't wait to see where she will take these characters and the overall storyline, which is far from over. I just hope she can continue to surprise me, but regardless, I'm hooked and I would highley recommend anyone read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

07/09/2012 page 210