Heather's Reviews > There Is No Dog

There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff

1953243
Jun 11, 12

Read in June, 2012

I love books that have existential questions in them, and this one does not disappoint. Arising naturally from the narrative are such topics as the purpose of God, the level of his involvement with mankind, and what people expect from Him. It includes characters of all levels of belief, and Gods of all levels of goodness and maturity. I think it is fascinating to see how the idea of God has evolved since ancient civilization and compare that to the immortal characters in this book. I also think it is interesting to watch the more agnostic human characters in this book, most especially how they interact with the immortal characters.

The reality of this book does not include an afterlife for mortals. Dead is dead, and there is no talk of human souls, but there is a great discussion about how difficult it is to find meaning for such a small and temporary thing as a human life.

This book also does not delve into why a just God would allow bad things to happen to good people. Here, bad things are a result of divine negligence, or, at best, divine limitation. This is not the book for those seeking affirmation that a just and all-powerful being watches over and tends to mankind.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Is No Dog.