nicole's Reviews > The Raven Boys

Apr 25, 2016

bookshelves: 2012, 2016
Read from June 11, 2012 to April 25, 2016

6/13/12
Blue has been often told that she will cause her true love to die. So she doesn't mess around with the boys of Henrietta, or the Raven Boys, those rich, privileged snobs from Aglionby. Not that they would pay much attention to a psychic's daughter anyway.

But after being singled out by a Raven Boy during the St. Marks Eve stroll of those souls who will die within the next year, she soon finds herself caught up with a close-knit pack boys on a quest.

This book begins with a perfect first line.

It is so perfect that it makes me ache, to know that this story will take four books to tell, all that time, all that waiting. But it's a good ache, that reader's ache, and nobody's more worth it than Stiefvater.

I love the slow, creeping pace of the first half of this book, as each character comes closer and closer to their joined destiny. I love the camaraderie, the way the boys have formed a family, the den of women Blue lives with. Parts of the second half remind me of Lev Grossman's The Magicians, the way in which magic and power exact a toll, both on people and in places. And while I have a soft spot for each of the Raven Boys - Gansey the ringleader, Ronan with a tortured past, quiet Noah - it's scholarship student Adam I adore the most.

ARC received at BEA.

Fun fact: I finished Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races a year ago today!

4/25/16
Re-read in anticipation of the final installment. Loved picking up on all the things I'd missed the first time around!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

04/20 marked as: read
04/20 marked as: currently-reading
04/25 marked as: read

Laura Gardner So jealous!!!!!!

Annie I love Scorpio Races! So original and amazing :) I kinda like how it was standalone because these repetitive trilogies are getting on my nerves but amazing book! :)

nicole I agree re: stand alones, Annie. I believe I read in an interview that this book is part of a four-book Raven Cycle. I'm super curious to see how that works out in this YA trioligy world!

Annie well, some books are awesome as series or trilogies ( i assume the Raven Boys will be in this category of awesomeness tho i have yet to read it)!
but other books would definitely be more stronger if they were stand alones. I'm looking forward to reading Raven Boys!