Cheryl's Reviews > Attachments

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Jun 12, 12

Read from June 11 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy

Lincoln O’Neill works the night shift in IT at a newspaper called The Courier. A big part of his job is checking e-mails that are caught by WebFence, a program that flags questionable e-mails. He then checks the messages and, if necessary, sends a warning to the sender if they’ve broken some company policy. Except he’s never sent a warning to Jennifer Scribner-Snyder or Beth Fremont, two friends who work at the newspaper and whose e-mails get red flagged quite a bit. Through reading their e-mails Lincoln comes to like the women and falls for Beth, even though she has a boyfriend. He sometimes goes by Beth’s desk after hours, just to see what’s on it, not to do something really weird like touch or smell her stuff, and tries to imagine what she looks like, though that doesn’t really seem to be important to him. Unfortunately, he feels like he’s passed the point of no return and there’s no way he could ever really have any kind of relationship with her because of what he's done.

Lincoln moved back into his mom’s house when he got the job and has been pining over his first and only girlfriend, Sam, since they broke up years ago. Actually, it’s more like missing what he had with her and wondering if he’ll ever have it again. Guys like this really drive me nuts, hung up on some chick who broke his heart. And it would’ve been really easy for him to be a mama’s boy, especially since he lives at home and his mother makes all of his meals for him, but Rowell does a good job of having him love and be considerate of his mother while keeping him from crossing that line into being a total wuss who can’t get away from his mother’s apron strings.

The story is told in e-mails between the women, while Lincoln’s POV is in the third person. The e-mails between Beth and Jennifer often cracked me up and I wish there had been a little more of that (though not less from Lincoln's side). Life from Lincoln’s perspective was sometimes a little depressing because of the rut he was in and sometimes made me want to strangle him for being so hung up on Sam. Fortunately, reading the women’s e-mails gives him a bit of a kick in the butt and, despite his flaws, Lincoln was a truly nice guy and I love that he was all big and lumberjacky. I live in New York City and if I see one more guy in skinny jeans who weighs a buck ten soaking wet, I’m going to be sick. Plus, I think most guys here are about 30% woman; yes, I’m talking about the straight ones. I grew up in the Midwest and reading this made me want to pack up all of my crap and move back there if there’s even the slightest chance that there are a couple of Lincoln’s wandering the plains.

There’s a lot I’d love to say about what Beth and Jennifer say in their e-mails and about what Lincoln does because of some of them, but I don’t want to give anything away. I like romantic comedies, but I’m not a person who cries over An Affair to Remember, I’ve never seen Titanic and Nicholas Sparks anything induces involuntary eye rolling. Suffice it to say I’m not a mushy person. Attachments occasionally wandered into mushy territory, but I loved it. The way it was written never made me want to gag, it was sweet and refreshing with a lot of humor. The one thing I didn’t get was why it took place in 1999. The Y2K thing had a small background part, and I realize that IT security is different today, but I’m positive that somewhere in my building a real live human is reading at least some of my e-mails some of the time. For a good third of the book I kept getting distracted by that and asking myself, “Why is it 1999?” Thankfully, the book was so good, I eventually stopped wondering that every 10 pages. I saw a reviewer use the word charming to describe Attachments and that's exactly what it is. It's the perfect blend of comedy, drama and romance and I highly recommend it. I would definitely check out another book by Rainbow Rowell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.

06/12/2012 page 238

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandyn Good review! I just thought I would let you know that Rainbow posted a few "Attachments" deleted scenes to her blog and one of them is an excellent email exchange between Jennifer and Beth about Data from Star Trek. www.rainbowrowell.com