Molly Evans's Reviews > Dubliners

Dubliners by James Joyce

F 50x66
Jun 11, 2012

it was ok

I was entirely forced against my will to read this by my English literature teacher, a tireless joyce-lover who wouldn't hear a word against it and I honestly I had never hated a book as much as this... AND YET, when I eventually stopped putting off writing about it I found it had more meaning that I originally thought.
When you get past Joyce's overly detailed style and constant lack of actual plot you get Joyce's actual message and intention - 'Dubliners' is dull and dreary because for the most part of Dublin at the time life was dull and dreary. After being let down politically by Parnell the population was left feeling desolate and in a state of paralysis (a key theme of the collection).
Once I understood the reason behind what I originally thought to be Joyce's sheer inability to create a riveting plot I realised he had cleverly hidden the plot and I had fallen for it and judged it too quickly.
Not exactly a riveting read but an intellectually interesting back story that for the initially undetermined (me) won't be revealed unless you stick with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dubliners.