Mark's Reviews > The Ice Princess

The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read from June 11 to 23, 2012

I enjoyed this first experience with Ms. Lackberg. I thought she did a good job of developing her murder mystery and keeping the misdirection going, and moreso than Stieg Larsson or Henning Mankell, she spends much more time developing the personal relationships of her characters, as well as he budding romance between the protagonist and her new boyfriend, the young homicide detective.

I had to withhold my final star, though, because the plot hinges on a behavior that I found to be unrealistically improbable, but which I can't describe without a spoiler alert. Suffice to say that this murder case revolves around past sins, and it is the basic nature of those sins that's in question. (If anyone who has read this wants to message me and discuss this concern I have, that would be fine).

The strength of Lackberg's story is her ability to mix in other subplots without detracting from the murder mystery (unlike the recent TV series, "The Killing," where the subplots overwhelmed the main mystery). The protagonist, Erica Falck, has a sister trapped in an abusive marriage. Her new lover, Patrick Hedstrom, has a bufoonish, incompetent boss and an earth motherish office clerk that brings life to those scenes, and then, there is Erica's relationship with an old friend, a vibrant fisherman whose wife is jealous and who is carrying a secret of his own. The title refers to Erica's childhood friend Alex, whose lifeless body with slit wrists is found in an iced-over tub to begin the novel.

My reservations aside, I enjoyed this and will explore more of the translated versions of Lackberg's books.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Princess.

06/11/2012 page 20