Stewart's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

Jun 11, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: comics, graphic-novels, horror, fantasy
Read in June, 2012

I can't believe it's taken me this long to read this series. The art is often not great and occasionally terrible- many of the artists involved are seemingly incapable of keeping the characters on-model, and the colors are classic 80's-era garishness- but as usual, Gaiman's skill as a writer mostly overcomes reservations I have about the art. Sandman showcases the strengths and weaknesses of early Gaiman. There's some great world building, a fantastic mix of myth and fantasy, and richly imagined characters- including several strong women and LGBT characters, which was somewhat unheard of in comics at the time these were created. Unfortunately, there's also a bit of violence against women and LGBT characters, and some of the weaknesses with the art pushes some scenes over into gothic silliness instead of treading carefully along the line like much of Gaiman's other works are able to do. Still, for the most part I've been finding these enjoyable and I'm hoping the later issues are better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.