Dlora's Reviews > Olivia

Olivia by Julie Wright

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction, lds-author, lds-fiction
Read in June, 2012

This is a new series about four different women in a book club, all written by different LDS authors. Only one of the ladies is LDS, which makes for some interesting discussions. I really enjoyed "listening in" on their comments about the books they read: The Poisonwood Bible, My Name is Asher Lev, Silas Marner, and they were about to read The Help when the book ended. I've read all of those except My Name is Asher Lev, and they made me want to read that one too. Olivia is the central character in this book, a woman who loves homemaking, motherhood, and helping others. Her own mother who died a few years previously always talked about Heavenly Messages--promptings when someone had a need. The story opens with Olivia waiting for her husband to come home to share a fancy anniversary dinner she had prepared, but he'd forgotten and stayed late at work which was becoming a pattern. For the last several years, their ability to communicate and appreciate each other had been dwindling and Olivia is mad at him and then desperate to try to mend their marriage before divorce becomes the only answer. She tries to soothe the stress so it doesn't impact her four children, but home life just seems to get worse as the plot develops. Her husband accuses her of being The Giving Tree, giving to everybody and losing herself. She shoots back that that makes him the little boy who just took and never gave back. She decides to do something "selfish" that she doesn't really have time for--join a book club--where she finds friends and ideas to help her. This was an enjoyable, light read, but with good ideas, believable characters and conflict, and touches of humor to lighten the dread of a marriage breaking up.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olivia.