Kirstin's Reviews > Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

320306
Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: running
Recommended for: runners, ultrarunners, athletes, vegetarians, vegans
Read from June 08 to 13, 2012

I really enjoyed this book.

Scott's writing style is open and honest and genuine -- right away, you feel like you know him. I was captivated by his life story, his training, his races and his advice on running.

There are also a lot of great suggestions on how to become a better runner. And not the same old advice. He offers up mental tricks as well as techniques he has borrowed from his experience with yoga and other sports. He's done quite a bit of reading about great runners and there's a lot he's gleaned from that too.

Though I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I don't find his references to how he came to be vegan trite or sanctimonious. As someone who enjoys good food and cooking, I found it interesting.

At the end of each chapter he includes a tasty-sounding recipe, and I'm looking forward to trying a fair number of them.

I met Scott at a Fun Run and book signing event. After the run, he spoke. He talked about what he eats, how he trains and how he became a runner as a result of cross-training for Nordic skiing in high school.

One thing he said that particularly resonated with me: To run an ultra you've got to be "hungry."

It's so true. You may possess the training, fitness and ability to run 100 miles but you may not even make it 50K if you aren't focused on your goal. There are always excuses to DNF, and unless finishing truly matters to you, you're likely to succumb to those excuses.

He also mentioned that he was looking forward to one day retiring from racing, and perhaps running the VHTRC Massanutten 100 Miler. How exciting it would be to have him toe the line!

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat and Run.