Laura's Reviews > Beauty and the Werewolf

Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey

Jun 11, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, beach-read
Read in June, 2012

Although I truly enjoy Mercedes Lackey's writing, I'd been avoiding this series. I don't enjoy series as much as I used to; I get tired of waiting for the next book. I just want to read a book and have it be over. But then I saw this book on the "Just Published" shelf at Barnes and Noble.

I have a real soft spot for Beauty and the Beast stories. Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley set me up early (at about 13) to enjoy the various retellings. I think there are entirely too many werewolf romances out there, cluttering up the shelves at Barnes and Noble, but the Beast being a werewolf instead of a different monster isn't the same, right?

As usual, Bella is the perfect heroine. She is capable, good, good-natured, helps little old ladies, etc. I can understand how the Tradition is both attracted to her and baffled by her. It would have been nice if she'd had one or two teeny-tiny little faults but it is a fairy tale after all.

I don't know that I'll go out and buy the rest of the series but I may visit the library to pick up other books in the series.

I wouldn't recommend this to very young teens (it does contain some euphemisms for sex) but it does provide a better Bella to emulate than Twilight and I wasn't on Team Edward.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty and the Werewolf.

Leah Sawnor I still read Robin's Beauty!