Mary's Reviews > Icefall

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby

I loved this coming-of-age book, from the cold, historical Scandinavian setting, to the Norse mythical references and stories, to the strong female main character, Solveig, and the adults who see her potential (Alric and Hake). I love that it is a complete story in a single book with a strong ending so I am not waiting for a sequel to find out what happens. This is also a book from a female perspective that boys will likely enjoy almost equally. Solveig, her older - and vastly more beautiful - sister Asa, and her strong and courageous younger brother Harald are sent to a steading in a fjord remote from their father's kingdom to be safe during a war. They are accompanied by a small group of servants (Bera, Raudi, Ole) and eventually joined by a party of their father's fiercest warriors (berserkers) led by their captain, Hake. Storyteller, Alric also arrives with the berserkers. For a while it seems that the greatest danger is that the group will run out of food to last until it is possible to return home, but when warriors are sickened and two cows are released to be eaten by wolves, it becomes evident that there is a traitor among the group. In the face of this danger and these hardships, Solveig learns what she is capable of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icefall.