Jen4short's Reviews > Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World

Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl by N.D. Wilson

Jun 11, 12

Read in June, 2012

So, on Saturday I was the lone woman sitting amongst a group of men when the subject of this book came up. I'd started to read it once before and hated it. Why? I didn't like the author. I've thought for years he was trying too hard to be like his father and never quite measuring up. Ugly, I know. But true. And I happen to think his father a right jolly old elf, with a bit of Lewis, Chesterton and Luther thrown in for good measure. Who wouldn't like THAT sort of guy, right?

So when talk about this book appeared, I listened to the chatter and gave my two cents worth when the lauding increased. I said, "It's a good book for males, maybe. But not for women." Amid the loud guffaws, hearty laughter and shame-faced embarrassment (as if they shouldn't have enjoyed it as much as they did), I thought it might be expedient on my part to again "take up and read" this book I had so hastily condemned during my earlier sojourn. Who knew? I might have missed something important, like...um....the "story" itself. I don't like being the only one in the room to NOT get the joke.

I'm glad I gave it a second chance. And I'm also happy to say that the son has not only succeeded in becoming like his father; in this book, I do believe he has exceeded him if this readers tears are any measure. Doug Wilson has only made me cry once. It happened when we were at a History Conference where he was one of the principal speakers. When he spoke of King Jesus, his voice cracked. And my tear ducts quickly followed suit. In Nate's book, I cried and cried and cried again. In "Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl", Nate Wilson makes us to see God's glory by training our eyes on the shadow. You know the one. It's the one that was eliminated forever when Christ rose from the grave.

And about me resenting the son for wanting to be like his dad? That was my problem, not his. This son is a grand and glorious reflection of his father, and one in whom his father, I would imagine, takes great pride.

Although I still believe this is a book written by a man to men and for men, I also believe that every woman can and will be blessed/challenged/made to truly *see* in the beauty for ashes picture Nate paints of the world created in extravagant, living color AND in the harsh and harrowing, dark places by the Master Artist. Read it, girls, if you wish to see glory. Read it if you wish to weep. Just read it.

I'd left a bookmark in this particular book when I'd tried to read it the first time. Upon it was a quote from the great man himself, G. K. Chesterton. And what did it say? "The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children."

Thank you, Doug and Nancy, for being brave enough to live the ordinary. And thank you, Nate, for writing about it in a way that makes me *see* the majesty and the glory of our God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl.