Reni's Reviews > The Life of Admiral Viscount Exmouth

Jun 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: biographical, age-of-sail, e-book, non-fiction, read-in-2012
Read from June 11 to 16, 2012

A note: This is a very readable book, it simply should not be your first choice if you're looking for a biography about Exmouth rather than an entertaining read. This was published without the subject's family's consent, and therefore the author did not have access to the family papers, and a lot of the facts of this book are based on hearsay or simply made-up.

Pick up Stephen Taylor's new (2012) Exmouth biography instead.
------

I started reading this to indulge my thirst for knowledge regarding the time period and I greatly enjoyed the trip. With the biography narrating of a life as full of battle and adventure, the book reads almost like an adventure novel, until you recall that every fantastical episode in the life of the Admirall actually happened.

The only part of the book I could have done without is the biographer commenting on events. These comments come in two forms: One, the less annoying, has the biographer wander off in order to impart some knowledge relevant to an event's context. Like a few paragraphs on the nature of the Mutiny at Spithead. The second kind, in which the biographer graces us with his personal opinions on topics like religions (as in the chapter dealing with a failed French attempt to invade Ireland) is much less welcome. It might serve as insight into the time period the book was written in, but I would have preferred the biographer to stick to the facts and spare us his personal thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life of Admiral Viscount Exmouth.

06/11/2012
16.0% "guys, I just had to. Don't judge me ... *g*"
show 5 hidden updates…