Melissa's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Nov 12, 12

bookshelves: favorites, give-me-just-one-night, not-just-a-book-but-a-journey, crushing-hard-on-the-cover, worth-having-in-paperback-and-ebook
Read from November 10 to 11, 2012 — I own a copy

There Comes a Time

There comes a time in life when you read, feel, or hear something and words
Cannot not describe the emotions, thoughts or actions it brings out of you.
There comes a time in life when you feel inspired to do something that it is you've never done before,
Experience things you never thought you could do.
There comes a time in your life when against all odds you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel,
And that you will make it out okay.
Breathing, living, crying, screaming, yelling, smiling.
There comes a time in life when you know that no matter what happens, you can still look back,
And say you gave it your all.
In today’s world, it seems like nothing will turn around for the better as we sit and wait and become bitter.
In life you find things that are astounding. In every way imaginable and every way you can see.
Things that are life changing in the best way possible. Things that you can only describe with the most vivid of words and actions.
There comes a time in life when you say no matter what, at the end of the day I gave it my all.
Knowing that there is peace within you and with all that surrounds you.
There comes a time in life when you smile because you know, at that time life is everything you
wanted it to be but never thought that it could.
Shouting from the rooftops the joy that you have inside and wanting to share it with the world.
There comes a time in life when all is at it should be and you turn around, look at yourself and know that this is what you were meant for.
....MLD

...And that time came for me throughout the entirety of this book. I cannot remember the last time I was so touched, so inspired, so intrigued, so consumed with a book as I was with Slammed. The slam poetry was utterly brilliant and the story to go along with it was damn near perfection.

Layken (aka Lake) is an eighteen year old who has just moved away from everything she's ever known as "home" after her fathers sudden death. She needs and tries so hard to be the rock that her little brother, Kel, and mother can lean on. On moving day, she meets her neighbors from across the street, Will and his little brother, Caulder. It was pretty much love at first sight...for the little brothers as well. I loved the dynamics of the kids' relationship. How easy it is to just accept and be happy at that age...

Will asks Lake on a date and it's unlike any typical date she's been on before. None of the boring questions about how many siblings, dogs, cats, etc.. Then he brings her to a Slam session. She is thoroughly enjoying herself and begs him to do a slam for her, he volunteers, does his slam and the rest is history...

Three days ago, I was devastated, bitter, and hopeless. Today I woke up feeling happy for the first time in months.

Will did that for Lake, in all the months that had passed and while her unhappiness began to consume her, he helped her to see life in a different way...

...Then a devastating revelation happens....and then another, and you think to yourself, WHY??? Why can't everything just be okay?!...

Throughout the course of the book, Lake and Will had to face some of the toughest obstacles any two people could ever or should ever have to face. I would like to think that Lake's best friend Eddie helped to keep her grounded, she was one of my favorite characters in the book; her joy leaped off of the pages to me and I found myself smiling every time she would give off her words of wisdom...

This book had me going through so many emotions. I had a lot of ups and downs, tears of sorrow and tears of contentment, grins and frowns. My heart beat rapidly at times for the hope of a solution and beat rapidly at times for the nervousness of what was to come...

So many adversities to overcome, so many issues to work through, so many questions of priority. Through poetry so much is revealed of how one copes with things, deals with feelings; pouring their soul out to a captive audience. Why? Because it speaks volumes:

The ways these poets are able to lure you into a whole new world, viewing things from a vantage point you've never seen before. Making you feel like you are the mother who lost her baby, or the boy who killed his father, or even the man who got high for the first time...

This was so much more than a book to me, it put so many things into perspective, it touched me on a deeper level. At the first slam, I knew this would be one of my favorite books of all time, now that I'm done? I'm glad to see that I was right! I would give this book WAY more than 5 stars if GR would let me, but for now, know that I absolutely LOVED this book and am excited to read more of Layken and Will's story in the sequel! In closing, I will leave you with this...

Be accepting of everything. People's differences, their similarities, their choices, their personalities. Sometimes it takes a variety to make a good collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Colleen Hoover
“I got schooled this year
a
boy

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

11/10/2012
16.0% "HOLY SHIT! I just got through the first slam. I'm going to call it now... This is going to be one of my favorite books of ALL time."
11/11/2012
22.0% "No no no this can't be :/ Will... A teacher???"
11/11/2012
56.0% "Lake's poor mom :/... God what a fantastic book!"
11/11/2012
71.0% "Will, your little speech brought tears to my eyes... I. Love. You."
11/11/2012
78.0% "I'm a blubbering mess of tears. Eddie's eighteenth bday.. Enough said <3" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Kyle Absolute Perfection!! What a beautiful review!!!

Melissa Jennifer wrote: "Absolute Perfection!! What a beautiful review!!!"

Thanks Jen!! <3 love ya!!!!!

Emmy Such a beautiful review! I love it! ;)

Melissa Emmy wrote: "Such a beautiful review! I love it! ;)"

THANK YOU Emmy!! :)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Wonderful review! This book moved me just as much. It's powerful. xoxo

Cristin AKA 'C' And this is why your reviews are some of my favorites! How do you write them so fast?! Just perfect and stunning. A testament to how this book touches and inspires everyone who reads it. Your review reflects that & more

Angie's Dreamy Reads Great review girly!!! Loved it!!!

Melissa Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Wonderful review! This book moved me just as much. It's powerful. xoxo"

Taryn, thanks so much! I really appreciate it :)

message 9: by Melissa (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Cristin wrote: "And this is why your reviews are some of my favorites! How do you write them so fast?! Just perfect and stunning. A testament to how this book touches and inspires everyone who reads it. Your revie..."

Cristin!!! You are bringing tears to my eyes, thank you so much Broad, your words are SO SWEET <3...and to answer your question, I'm not sure, I just sit and write and let it come to me ;)

Melissa Angie wrote: "Great review girly!!! Loved it!!!"

Angie! <3 you sugar plum :)

message 11: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Oh. My. God. This is incredible. Thank you isn't enough...you need signed books. Email me your addy to colleenhoover@live.com. <3

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Colleen wrote: "Oh. My. God. This is incredible. Thank you isn't enough...you need signed books. Email me your addy to colleenhoover@live.com. <3"

Oh. My. God. Doesn't even begin to cover it!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Colleen!!! I'm literally shaking with excitement right now <3...Okay I sent my address to you, thanks again!!!

message 13: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn Oh man Melissa! I have to read this book next!!!

Melissa Dawn wrote: "Oh man Melissa! I have to read this book next!!!"

Dawn!! You do!! It seriously is like my favorite book of all time! I think you would really love it too <3

message 15: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn Yeah definitely! I think I might need a good crier! :)

Melissa Dawn wrote: "Yeah definitely! I think I might need a good crier! :)"

Ooo let me know when you do! ;)

Debra Hi all. Both books were great reads, I love poetry and the words in the books were SO powerful.....well done and thank-you!

Mr. Darcy's lady {Karinna} Holy moly Mel I think this might be your best review yet!! So beautiful, I love it! I wish one day I could write as well as you do! Love you Babe great job ❤

Melissa Karinna wrote: "Holy moly Mel I think this might be your best review yet!! So beautiful, I love it! I wish one day I could write as well as you do! Love you Babe great job ❤"

Aww thanks Karinna! <3!! I love you too! I appreciate you taking the time to read it :)

Mr. Darcy's lady {Karinna} Babe.
Of course!

Aspen Such a wonderful review!!! :] this book is one of my favorites as well!! It is one of those stories that sticks with me through out all the trials we face in life! I am so thankful for authors who can write such amazing inspiring stories! :] Loved your review it was like you were speaking my thoughts haha

Melissa Aspen wrote: "Such a wonderful review!!! :] this book is one of my favorites as well!! It is one of those stories that sticks with me through out all the trials we face in life! I am so thankful for authors who ..."

Thank you Aspen!!! I completely agree with you!! I really appreciate your kind words and for stopping by to comment! :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Astonishing review, Mel!

Melissa Lazy Jeff wrote: "Astonishing review, Mel!"

Thanks LJ!! I appreciate it <3

Richa Amazing review, Mel! Loved it!

Melissa Richa wrote: "Amazing review, Mel! Loved it!"

Thanks Richa!! <3

Melissa Debra wrote: "Hi all. Both books were great reads, I love poetry and the words in the books were SO powerful.....well done and thank-you!"

Hi Debra, I can't believe I missed your comment! I apologize! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment :)

message 28: by Jade (new)

Jade Lockett I freaking LOVE this book! Finished it in less than 24hrs and couldn't wait to read the next! I laughed, cried and fell in love!!

Melissa Jade wrote: "I freaking LOVE this book! Finished it in less than 24hrs and couldn't wait to read the next! I laughed, cried and fell in love!!"

I know EXACTLY how you felt Jade! I felt the same, these were some pretty EPIC books :D

message 30: by Nancy (new)

Nancy To be honest at first I thought the book would be boring, but when I read your review it was like I have been Slammed. I am totally going to read this book!:) Amazing review, amazing!

Melissa Nancy wrote: "To be honest at first I thought the book would be boring, but when I read your review it was like I have been Slammed. I am totally going to read this book!:) Amazing review, amazing!"

Aww thank you Nancy! I absolutely love hearing that my thoughts help others :DD

Keep me posted on your thoughts, I definitely want to know what you think!

message 32: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred Sigh ... your review is perfection! I think I "get" books when I read them, but you are able to put that "getting" into beautiful words, thanks Professora!

message 33: by Melissa (last edited Dec 29, 2012 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Fred wrote: "Sigh ... your review is perfection! I think I "get" books when I read them, but you are able to put that "getting" into beautiful words, thanks Professora!"

Aww thanks Fred!! You're so kind! :DD

P.S. Fred you're TOTALLY making my day!