Gina's Reviews > The Cranes Dance

The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey

F 50x66
Jul 02, 2012

Read in June, 2012

The Cranes Dance is, essentially, a book about the difficulties of growing up and giving ourselves permission to not be perfect. Our narrator, Kate Crane, has a love/hate relationship with ballet, her sister, and her life in general. Kate is in her mid-twenties, and as the book begins she is dealing with the end of a long-term relationship, her sister's collapse, and the realization that careers in ballet are not long-lived. Kate, her brother, and her sister are all phenoms in their chosen fields, and they appear to put tremendous amounts of pressure on themselves to succeed.

Through the narrative we are exposed to some of the inner workings of the ballet world, and in particular Kate's view of this world. The narrative itself is a bit uneven at times, and at times I found myself jarred out of reading by a word that did not seem to fit with the tone of the passage. Despite that, I found myself intrigued by the story. I wanted to know more about Kate, Gwen, and their friends. In fact, if I had a complaint it was just that I wanted to know more about the main characters than I was provided. I never felt that we knew enough about the characters, even Kate. This is not necessarily a criticism as it speaks volumes about the writing that I was immersed enough to want to delve deeper.

I will definitely look for more of Meg Howrey's books. I highly recommend this for people who are fans of dance but also for those who constantly push themselves to be the best at what they do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cranes Dance.