Gary's Reviews > Tricked

Tricked by Kevin Hearne

Jun 15, 12

Read from June 15 to 16, 2012

I'm so sad because I have to wait till November before I can continue the series.

Oh well.

The Story:

After faking his death with the help of the Morrigan and Coyote so that the gods would leave him alone, Atticus set up a new identity for Granuaile and himself, and repay the favour to Coyote by helping him set up a gold mine for his people.

But of course, Coyote was a trickster god, and it was revealed that he wanted Atticus to take care of the problem of the Skinwalkers.

Only it's not that simple.

Plus there's the issue of laying low, and an all-out vamp war.

Things just couldn't get any more chaotic, could they?

What I Liked About "Tricked":

1. Heavier emphasis on Atticus' backstories, which revealed a lot more about him. There's also an emotional depth that I haven't encountered before in the previous books, namely towards his best friend and hound, Oberon, as well as his relationship with Leif. I could also see how manipulated Atticus was, and I really felt sympathetic towards him.

2. With the Skinwalkers, Atticus seemed more vulnerable and weak against them, since he wasn't well-equipped against ancient Navajo magic. So it was pretty interesting to read how he countered those lightning-fast dark creatures, as he couldn't employ much magic that's effective and quick.

3. Lots of twists and surprises, albeit unpleasant ones too.

4. From the way the book ended and a sneak peek at the beginning of the next book, I could tell "Trapped" would EPIC. I hope I'm right!

What I Didn't:

Nothing.

Verdict:

Quite a short review here, I know, but it's in comparison to the previous books in the series. And since I've already commended how awesome this series already is multiple times, I shan't repeat here.

Though Kevin Hearne has elevated in the ranks of 'My Favourite Authors' list right alongside Gini Koch at the top spot.

I'm sooooo glad that I had a chance to discover this wonderful series!

Thank you, Kevin, for creating a world that is so full of colour I never imagined possible. Then again, nothing's impossible in the world of stories, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tricked.

06/15/2012 page 247
73.0% "i really pity atticus for being manipulated by so many parties. poor guy."
06/15/2012 page 338
100.0% "loki is in the next book!"