Heidi's Reviews > Acid Tongues and Tranquil Dreamers: Eight Scientific Rivalries That Changed the World

Acid Tongues and Tranquil Dreamers by Michael  White

Oct 16, 2008

bookshelves: pop-science, politics-history-philosophy, nonfiction
Recommended to Heidi by: San Francisco Public Library
Read in October, 2008

A good interesting, intelligent history of scientific rivalry. I have always been a fan of Tesla, so the Edison v. Tesla story I felt was particularly interesting, but the Newton v. Liebniz was also very good. I learned a bit about the foundations of modern physics, chemistry and electronics, the way some of the great innovations have worked and the progress of scientific innovation/culture/methodology through the book. I felt the last story, Gates v. Ellison, was a bit difficult to tackle in this format. Writing a history of living figures and a quickly evolving modern industry is just going to be harder, and has the potential to quickly feel dated. I think that those factors definitely made me feel that the last story was the least interesting - though it made me interested in reading more thorough explorations of that time frame. Also, Steve Jobs and Macintosh & Apple aren't mentioned, which we can definitely see as an oversight at this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acid Tongues and Tranquil Dreamers.

10/13/2008 page 292