Erika Gill's Reviews > One Hundred Years Of Solitude

One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Jul 23, 12

Read from June 11 to July 18, 2012

I love Marquez's writing, and I was intrigued by the storytelling throughout, but two things soured this reading experience for me.

1) That I found it difficult to keep the characters straight (they are all named alike, especially the male Buendias. I think by the end there are like 20 Aurelianos and at least 5 Jose Arcadios. This made it difficult to discern whether or not you were reading about an incestual relationship or not. Which leads me into:

2) The story focused a lot on the oddities in the relationships, which was interesting, sure, but the sordid nature of the different connections piled on layer after layer for 40, 50, 60 years got kind of boring. Like, I get it. They're all pretty strange and fantastical. I guess I kind of stopped caring once the enduring family characteristics were established.

The last thing, which didn't ruin the experience, just kind of flew over my head, I guess, was the nature of loneliness as displayed by the vein of enduring/cyclical family characteristics. I think this has a lot more to do with cultural context and my personal take on loneliness, isolation, ostracism, and, yknow, feelings.

The multiple characters could have been more strongly differentiated, and I only place fault on the characterization and not myself as a reader because I read and enjoy many books with very long character lists, like A Song of Ice and Fire and Reichert's Renshai Chronicles, and I keep them all straight in my head somehow. It might also have had something to do with how slowly I read this book, which is unusual for me.

TL;DR, Marquez is magical (realistically, of course) and I loved Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores and Love in the Time of Cholera, but for me this classic fell flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years Of Solitude.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erynn (new)

Erynn So true that it's impossible to keep all the characters straight. I've failed at finishing this book, even after multiple attempts. I love the writing and the initial enthrallment of the story, but always end up realizing I have no idea who Marquez is talking about and give up.